We always hear people talk about the importance of having a consistent skincare routine and how that's beneficial for the skin. But what exactly does a person need in their skincare routine, and how/where should they start?
Here are the steps you need to follow to create a skincare routine:
- Determine your skin type
- Purchase the products
- Stick to a routine
DETERMINE YOUR SKIN TYPE
You can check out this (add link) blog post to learn how to determine your skin type.
WHAT PRODUCTS SHOULD I PURCHASE?
The basic products that should be present in every skincare routine are the following:
- A cleanser gets rid of all the dirt and bacteria that build up on your skin during the day or night. It’s the first step of your skincare routine to ensure the rest of the products are applied to clean skin.
- A cleanser is NOT supposed to make your skin feel squeaky clean. When your skin is so clean to the point where it feels tight, that’s a sign that your cleanser is stripping your skin from its natural oils. (NOT a good sign!)
- People with oily skin should look for foaming cleansers while people with dry skin should look for hydrating cleansers.
- After cleansing your face, you have to replenish the moisture that was lost throughout the day.
- Moisturizers with ingredients such as ceramides and hyaluronic acid can provide your skin with the healthy hydration it needs to stay soft, supple, and youthful.
- You HAVE to moisturize, even if you have naturally oily skin. If you don’t moisturize, your skin will start producing an excessive amount of oils that will clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- SPF is crucial in a person’s skincare routine because any time spent outdoors can leave the skin vulnerable to sun damage.
These products are just the basics of a skincare routine. Obviously, other products can be purchased such as treatments, serums, masks, oils, etc. However, none of them are as crucial as the three products mentioned above. Also, make sure to buy products that are suitable for your skin type.
STICK TO A ROUTINE
After buying the products, use them daily. Cleanse and moisturize your skin every morning and night, and apply sunscreen in the morning or before leaving the house. Sticking to a routine will allow you to see improvement in your skin; consistency is key.
Always remember to apply products from thinnest to thickest consistency and keep it simple! You don’t need an excessive amount of products to have clear, glowing skin. Thankfully, The Beauty Zone is the place to start. Head to our website to purchase all products for your new skincare routine!